Monday, 29 December 2014

Teacher Style #1


As teachers, we are part of a profession that is educating and shaping the adults of tomorrow – so it goes without saying that if we are a professional (and want to be considered as one by the wider community), then we should dress like one!

I have always been a lover of fashion. While at this point in my life and career I won’t spend a lot on my day-to-day work wear (which also doubles as day-to-day mummy wear), I do still like to look put together and fashionable.

Since having children it has been tricky to find clothes that fit my ever changing body shape - but this has also taught me to shop smartly and look at different styles - and as a primary teacher it is difficult to walk that fine line between looking professional and not caring whether you get paint, glitter, glue or bodily fluids on your outfit (a common hazard in my current workplace). High school teachers have the worry of dressing professionally without gaining unwanted attention and comments from their students – even as a sports teacher I need to be wary of what I wear to training.

So I have started looking to Pinterest and other Teacher Blogs for inspiration, and thankfully a lot of teachers love sharing what they’re wearing – and most importantly, where they got the gear!!! Some of my favourite teacher style blogs include:

All Things Katie Marie – probably my FAVOURITE teacher fashion blog to follow!
Teacher Look Book

Classy in the Classroom

Lilly Style

Stephanie Teaches

MK’s Outfit Posts – not necessarily a teacher specific blog, but the fashion is perfect!
J’s Everyday Fashion – again, not written specifically for teachers, but has great outfits that are perfect!


Recently the NSW Department of Education put out a ‘revised’ policy about acceptable work wear. By nature I am a very conservative, classic dresser but to read (and also witness) some teachers turning up to work in ripped jeans, thongs, singlets and boardies (not on swimming carnival day) I was a little shocked – I can’t believe that fully grown, educated adults need to be told what is acceptable work attire! You can find the actual policy here: https://www.nswtf.org.au/files/dec_dress_code.pdf

While some of the blogs and images I’ve linked to above have teachers wearing jeans to work (it is expected that we don’t wear jeans to work here in NSW and Australia), you can still use the rest of the outfit as inspiration – just change the pants. It’s also important to have the appropriate footwear – for example, in the school that I was working at in 2014, sandals, wedges, heels of any kind and open-toed shoes were a no-go. It’s just not practical when you might have to run after a child, jump fences – or worse, get a splash of bodily fluids when toileting.
Navy Blue Capped Sleeve Top - Tempt
Paisley Gypsy Pants - Portmans
Shoes - Payless Shoes
Bangle - gift
Navy Blue Capped Sleeve Top - Tempt
Light Chambray Linen Pants - Target
Shoes - Payless Shoes
Necklace - gift from a past student
White Sleeveless Top - Portmans
Cropped Jacket -
Pants - Supre
Shoes - Wanted
Necklace - Collette
Bangle - gift
DKNY Watch - gift
 I will hopefully start taking pictures and uploading them to show you what I wear – and most of my stuff can be worn when I’m being a stay-at-home mum or a classroom teacher – versatility is the key!!! Here are some of the things I wore towards the end of 2014… (I’ll even try to provide links of where to buy items). And check out my Pinterest page for more inspiration.

Please feel free to comment below and share some of your favourite outfits and blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment