Friday, 21 November 2014

I'm baaaacckk!


Masters of Education (Special Education) COMPLETE!!!!!!:

Well, after two gruelling years of essays, online forum posts and endless journal articles I have finally completed my Master’s degree!!! (Cue crazy crowd cheering and clapping). Doing this whilst raising my first son, having my second one, returning to work two days a week and supporting my husband while he did his own degree and continued his travelling as the head physio of the Tongan Rugby Union squad (as well as some other gigs that popped up along the way) presented its challenges, but it’s done!

So while I won’t go into great detail about the degree, I’ll list the subjects I chose and my overall thoughts on the course. Hopefully it might help any of you out there who are considering returning to the books!

Subject Choice:

1.    Literature for Children & Young People

2.    Approaches to Reading Difficulties: Theories & Strategies

3.    Giftedness in Special Populations

4.    Introduction to Inclusive Education: Strategies, Policies & Legislation

5.    Introduction to Research & Enquiry

6.    Assessment & Instruction of Individuals with High Support Needs

7.    Models of Behaviour Management

Generally, these were good subject choices as they provided me with a broad coverage of topics regarding Special Education – however, I was disappointed in the content contained in each of the subjects. Without going into too much detail, there was a heavy focus on theorists, theories, analysing the ‘research’ (which for some subjects, such as Gifted Education proved difficult as there was little recent research) and it seemed that many of my lecturers were out of touch with current classroom climates.

If you have any other questions for me, feel free to post! J

No comments:

Post a Comment