Need a fun, quick and easy science experiment for any age group? This is a simple one, and you've probably got the ingredients in your cupboard right now!
All you need is:
* 1.25L soft drink bottle (per student/group)
* 1 balloon (per student/group)
* 1tsp baking soda/bi-carb soda
* 2 tbsp white vinegar
The procedure is as follows:
* Place the bottle on the table and remove the lid. Carefully pour or spoon 2 tablespoons of vinegar into the bottle.
* Open up the mouth of the balloon (put the first two fingers, not the thumb, on each hand inside the mouth of the balloon and stretch). Have a friend put 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the balloon with the spoon you have not used.
* Without spilling any of the baking soda, stretch the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle.
Turn the balloon completely upright so that the baking soda inside the balloon pours into the bottle with the vinegar. Watch!
I did this experiment on a casual day. The school is notoriously tough, but I was thrilled to see how engaged and enthusiastic the kids were about this activity - even the writing up process!!
So don't be afraid by doing a science experiment - some of the best ones are the simplest!
You can grab a copy of the writing element FOR FREE from my stores.