Thursday, 7 June 2012

Letter Sound Checklists

It has been said that "the first two years of formal schooling are critical in children's literacy development". This is where they really get a grasp on language, and learn that words are made up of sounds and that these sounds are represented by letters. 

Generally in Australia, teachers use the Carnine Order for teaching the alphabet:

Why do we do it in this order?  Because the letters are visually and auditorily similar are seperated so there is no confusion; upper case letters that do not look the same as their lower case letters are introduced after most lower case letters have been introduced; and more useful and frequently used litters are introduced before less useful letters (Carnine, et al., 2006). 

So based on checklists from the textbook "Teaching Children with Reading Difficulties", I have created some printable checklists that you can do at the beginning, and throughout the year to record your students knowledge of letters and sounds. There will also be checklists for important letter combinations, such as consonant diagraphs, double consonant diagraphs, initial consonant blends and silent letters. So check out my store to download your pack of letter sound checklists today!

3 comments:

  1. I’m your newest follower.I can't wait for your future post. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.
    Thanks, Shanell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following! I've got so much to share, I just have to have more moments in which I post them all - my 10month old takes up alot of time! :-) I look forward to following you, and sharing resources! Keep on stopping by! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of the Carnine Order!

    I follow the Letters and Sounds system, while I also know some who follow the Spalding system which does the clockface letter all together. Now, I am wondering - do we teach similar together to make it easier? Or teach different like you mentioned to make each letter stand out more.

    Thank you for making me think!

    http://kindergarten-blossoms.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete