Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

As I look out my window on this wet and dreary day, it got me thinking about what I used to do with my cherubs on days such as this, when indoor play was called. A great tip is to have some board games and card games for varying ages on hand. A family friend was having a clean out and found some old games of her son's that she graciously gave to me to use in my classroom - UNO, Snap and Old Maid cards, along with Panic, Boogle and a giant snakes and ladders to name a few. I had them stored along with some old comics and children's magazines. I was always very strict on who played what game, and how many were playing together, but it meant that they had something fun to do during what would normally be their outside play time. I also allowed students who had earned free time to play these. Playing games like these are actually educational (but shhhh, don't let the kids figure that out) and it teaches them communication and social skills such as taking turns and good sportsmanship. So ask some friends and relatives, or better still go down and support your local charity shop by purchasing some pre-loved games cheaply. Wet weather days will always happen and it's always good to have something fun the kids can do.

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed by how many kiddos have never played these games like Memory, Candyland, Connect 4 etc. I agree that they need to play games like these to build so many of those crucial social skills and good sportsmanship qualities.

    I am a new follower to your blog and would be honored if you came to visit me and maybe followed me back! =)

    Blessings to you,

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete